Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Moments...just a few of them!

I looked at my watch as I packed my bag - 5:46 PM. The train for Hoboken leaves at 5:58 and it takes me 9 minutes to get (walk/jog) to the station. I should be able to make it. I run for the elevator, press the button. Within moments, I hear the friendly dong and the doors open up.  I get in hoping that its a smooth run down the floors. Alas, there were others like me, but my alibi - none of them was taking the train. We stop at a couple of floors on the way down and I just hated it when the guy coming in on 3rd didn't manage to pull his bag in for the doors to close on the first go. DING DONG.... DING DONG... come on dude! We finally make it to the lobby and I rushed to the other lift that would finally take me to the 'real' ground floor. Yeah, there is two of them - I cursed Cushman & Wakefield for the building design once again. Anyway, I get out of this one smoothly and realize its 5:50ish. I start running... OMG! Is it just gravity or have I really gained so much weight that I cant run with a 20lb bag on my back. Whatever... today is the day when I am going to REjoin the 'gym'. Yes - this is why I am trying so hard.

Sprinting, walking, jogging... I make it to the station and see the train waiting on the platform. The architecture of this station mimics that of my office. I have to climb three floors and then take the stairs down to get to the platforms. WTF! Why do I even need to work out...with these fabulous pieces of architecture in my life. I run down the stairs to the platform and its 5:58ish... I am happy :) However, the train operator didn't know I was the only one of this lonely station who was rushing to take this train which would get me to Hoboken in time for the appointment at the gym. Helplessly, I stood on the platform looking at the closed doors of the train as it left. There was nothing stopping me then... I was so angry with myself and everyone who lead up to the delay...the phone call that I had to take, the email (2 actually) that I had to send before leaving, the water that I had to drink at 5:30 and the nature's call that I had to take after that... aah! I could have burnt the station had I been living inside a video game. But, this was real life. So, no burning... only cursing.

Wisdom prevailed. I realized that any more anger will only make me even more angry and pathetic. I pulled it together and waited for the next train. Got to Newark Broad Street at 6:31 and realized that the connecting train to Hoboken is at 7:16. Yes, now I have to wait on this station for the next 45 minutes. The vicious circle started again... and here I am venting it out on my new found 'KOP BHAVAN' - I think thats what Kaikayi (Remember Ramayan) called her Anger Abode. Some may feel that wtiting this blog has helped me in just expressing my thoughts (most of which are laced with anger and frustration) in words. However, I've realized that its not only given me that but also gave me a way to laugh at myself as I put these words together. In a way, it is helping me become a better person, as I don't have to wait to get home to let these stupid thoughts out in front my wife and prove that I am an impatient moron. I can now share it with the world (yes 'YOU' are the world to me as you read by blog :)) and get over this SH*T by the time I get home and enjoy the company of my dearest her majesty. By the way, what about the gym? Wasn't today my first day after a long, alcohol infused, 'dessert'ed break? That would be an entirely different conversation.

5 comments:

  1. was this conceptualised while waiting for the trains :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep... right on the Newark Broad Street station.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish..can't get it registered otherwise it'd have been here in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your write ups, they are interesting and eventful:)

    ReplyDelete